Saturday, March 3, 2018

Just Missed My Top 200: Japan - Visions Of China

Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge Japan fan. When it came time to create my Top 200, I pared the choices down to my four favorite Japan songs: "Ghosts" (#163), "Quiet Life" (#123), "I Second That Emotion" (#81), and "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" (#31). But that left some great songs, like "Halloween", "Life In Tokyo", "In Vogue", "Adolescent Sex", "All Tomorrow's Parties", and especially "Visions Of China" out in the cold. Let's fix that, starting now!

The second single off their 1981 Tin Drum LP, "Visions Of China" reached #32 on the UK chart, making the song one of Japan's biggest hits. With it's militaristic percussion and great vocals by David Sylvian, it's some damn good new wave music. "Visions Of China" just missed becoming the fifth Japan song included on my list.

Bonus! Here are "Adolescent Sex" & "In Vogue" as well!




 
Be back next week with another great song that almost made it.

2 comments:

  1. As of right now, In Vogue is my favorite Japan song ! Absolutely love the dense moody atmospheric sound ... reminds me very much of another song .... that will be featured soon on the Wednesday Edition of Awesomeness on Marc's Top 200 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, very moody and atmospheric as you said. Japan has so many songs in different styles. Check out "Halloween" as well. Personally, Was, I think you should listen to "Ghosts" a few mort times because it will grow on you! lol

      Delete