Saturday, December 2, 2017

Just Missed My Top 200: Peter Baumann - Metro Man



Peter Baumann landed the #185 ("Be Mine") and #22 ("Strangers In The Night") spots on my Top 200. "Metro Man", a third track from Baumann's blockbuster 1983 album Strangers In The Night, was another contender to make the list. A sparse, futurist tune that features cold synth lines and robotic vocals, the song is like a blend of Gary Numan and early OMD. I considered giving it a spot, but it in the end "Metro Man" just missed my Top 200.

Another great song by Peter Baumann is "Repeat Repeat", from the album just before Strangers In The Night, 1981's Repeat Repeat. I also considered this song for the Top 200. Here it is:
  ...and today, Baumann still rocks, although he has once again turned his back on pop music and has returned to his Tangerine Dream-era roots in synth-instrumental progressive rock. His 2017 album Machines Of Desire is a masterpiece, including the mesmerizing track "Valley Of The Gods", which is my favorite on the LP.

 See you next time with another song that just missed!

2 comments:

  1. Metro Man could have been on the soundtrack of Dr. Detroit! Sounds like a less spastic Devo to me .. theme fits the movie too

    Valley of the Gods is definitely playing on repeat infinitely, high above the Earth in PB's evil galactic space-lair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a galactic space-lair! Why does Peter Baumann get all the nice things?

      Delete